Hi, y’all! I think we can all agree that one silver lining from all of this COVID19 craziness is the self-care that we’re all doing. I’m sure I’m not the only one having to put in a little extra effort with myself since everything from threading salons to hair salons to nail shops are all closed. Another thing I’ve been focusing on is whitening my teeth and thanks to Smile Brilliant, I was able to brighten my teeth within a short 2 weeks!
WHO IS SMILE BRILLIANT?
Smile Brilliant is a company revolutionizing teeth whitening by making professional-grade teeth whitening with custom-fit trays available in our homes for $170. I don’t know if you’ve ever had your teeth whitened by a dentist but I got quoted once and the process would have cost me $500. I love that Smile Brilliant offers us a more affordable route!
Grab 15% off with code texasskye15!
HOW THIS BUSY MAMA GOT IT DONE
At the end of the day, we’re all busy and that comes in a million different forms. My busy schedule happens to involve taking care of a toddler 24/7, keeping a clean house and planning meals for the family. It may not sound like a lot but it’s the hardest (and most rewarding!) job I’ve had!
Needless to say, the idea of adding on another to-do item is daunting no matter who you are. Thankfully, I was able to easily fit the Smile Brilliant system into my bedtime routine without adding on any more than 10 minutes to my day!
MAKING THE CUSTOM-FIT TRAY
Once I ordered the whitening system (click here to view!), it arrived fairly quickly and included everything I would need to whiten my teeth. The first step was to make my mold for my custom-fit trays. Bryan helped with this but it ended up being super easy to do. All we had to do to make the mold was mix 2 impression materials (basically Play-Doh), put the mix in the molding tray and bite down on it for a couple minutes. Then all I had to do was send it off in the pre-paid mailing envelope so their professionals could make a sutom-fit tray. EASY PEEZY!
THE WHITENING PROCESS
I received my tray about a week or so later and it was time to whiten my teeth daily for 10 weeks. The daily whitening process was straight-forward and all I did was:
- Brush my teeth.
- Put a strip of whitening gel in the top tray, pat my teeth dry with a towel and put the tray on my top teeth.
- Put a strip of whitening gel in the bottom tray, pat my teeth dry with a towel and put the tray on my bottom teeth.
- Wait anywhere between 45 minutes and 3 hours. I would watch a movie, do laundry, work on the blog… anything that I would normally do during this time of night!
- Remove the trays, rinse them and brush my teeth again.
- Put a strip of desensitizing gel in the top tray, pat my teeth dry with a towel and put the tray on my top teeth.
- Put a strip of desensitizing gel in the bottom tray, pat my teeth dry with a towel and put the tray on my bottom teeth.
- Wait at least 15 minutes.
- Remove trays, rinse them and spit. The desensitizing gel doesn’t get brushed off because it continues to work even after the trays are removed.
- Go to sleep!
See, the process itself doesn’t add on any time to your nightly routine. You just go about your business with the trays in!
THINGS I LEARNED
Below are a few useful things I learned from my experience! Click here and here to see more answers to questions!
- “Do I work my way up to the maximum whitening time?” YES! I started with just 30 minutes of whitening and then increased by 30-minute increments. If your teeth are sensitive, do shorter sessions and even consider skipping a day.
- “Will my teeth be perfectly white after?” This is different for everyone! I personally noticed a bit of difference but not anything drastic but my teeth were also pretty bright beforehand??! If you have more yellowing, the changes will be more drastic! You can view other testimonials here!
- “Can I drink coffee??” YES! I asked this soon after receiving a sheet with the best practices because coffee is an everyday thing for me and I wasn’t sure brighter teeth was worth me getting caffeine-headaches for 2 weeks. Luckily for this coffee addict, it’s perfectly fine to drink during this process; it’s just not recommended directly after whitening. That means I had to just whiten at night.
- “Is drooling normal?” YES! Honestly, I was grossed out by the amount of drool I had at first but after some Googling I realized that this is a natural reaction of something being in my mouth. If you’re like me and can’t stand a mouth full of drool, keep a towel nearby during whitening and spit into a sink from time-to-time while whitening.
- “Is this FDA-approved?” YES! Both gels are registered with the FDA.
- “Will I be able to talk while whitening?” DEPENDS! Some people are able to. I wasn’t because of how uncomfortable I was with my drool (TMI probably but it’s simply the truth!).
- “Is this more effective than white strips I can buy at a grocery store?” YES! The custom-fit trays allows more surface of your teeth to be reached by the whitening gel.
Here are the results from the whitening! I had pretty white teeth before so there wasn’t a drastic change but a change nonetheless. All of these photos were taken on my iPhone under the same bathroom lighting and have not been retouched.
I hope that you enjoyed this blog post and if you have any questions, please let me know!
Thank you to Smile Brilliant for partnering with Texas Skye on this post!